THE family of a former Isle of Wight factory worker, who died from asbestos-related cancer, is appealing to his former workmates for help in discovering how he was exposed to the material.
Ramon Lewis, of Ryde, passed away three months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung associated with exposure to asbestos, often decades previously.
Following his diagnosis, Mr Lewis instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his illness, and if it could be linked to his work history.
He died aged 80 before he could see his case concluded.
Following his death, Mr Lewis’ children — Claire, 55, and Philip, 52 — are continuing their dad’s search for answers in his memory.
Mr Lewis was employed by Fibre Resin Developments, from 1962 until the firm closed in 1986.
His children have joined the legal team in appealing for their dad’s past workmates to come forward.
They are keen to hear from anyone who worked with their father at Fibre Resin Developments — particularly at the Kingston Road site in East Cowes, from 1970 to 1986.
- Have you any information to share?
- Contact Nicola Maier at Irwin Mitchell
- Call 02380 930 702, or email email@example.com
The firm was best known for the manufacture of the backs for television cabinets and car door panels.
On leaving the firm, Ramon went on to be a hospital porter, until his retirement in 2002.
He began to suffer with breathlessness just after Christmas, in 2019.
Following tests he was diagnosed with mesothelioma in March, 2020, and died in June, 2020.